[Coco] Success! FOCAL lives again!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Dec 18 17:43:19 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 09:17:01AM -0600, Joel Ewy wrote:
> Wow!  This will come in really handy when um...  uh.  Well, it's cool,
> anyhow!  :)

Heh, yeah, I can't say it's very useful.  FOCAL is one of those very
limited old languages.  I'm sure it'll see about as much use as the
OS-9 PILOT interpeter...

But hey, before Big John tracked down a copy of RSB and put it on the
net, there were many times when I thought OS-9 needed a simple
interpeted language to go along with BASIC-09.

I could see FOCAL being actually useful under Level 1, a little more
powerful than a dedicated calculator program, but not as large as,
say, BASIC would be.  Assuming it'll run under LI, I haven't actually
tried that yet.

> I notice ESR has a Hunt the Wumpus game ported from BASIC to C on that
> page.  Maybe you could port that to FOCAL!

Naa, the Hunt the Wumpus I want to write for the CoCo is a clone of
the TI99/4A Wumpus.  There's a Java version you can try at:
http://www.dreamcodex.com/wumpus.php

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA