[Coco] Serial Connection from Linux to CoCo3

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 4 20:38:00 EST 2010

On Saturday, December 04, 2010 08:22:19 pm Don Johnson did opine:

> On 2010-12-04, at 3:07 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 04, 2010 05:56:42 pm Don Johnson did opine:
> >> I've grabbed this out the Glenside IDE booting problems thread so it
> >> has it's own interest.
> >>
> >> On 2010-12-03, at 4:18 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> ---snip---
> >>
> >> I am still getting  the cables and converters to add a 5.25" drive to
> >> my Linux box for direct copy of the Nitros .dsk images to a floppy,
> >> but in the mean time I am attempting this connection and have some
> >> questions...

> >> As a preface:  I have put my Mini232 pak into slot 1 of the MPI and
> >> connected it with a serial cable, null modem, and DB25 to DB9 adapter
> >> to the Linux box.  I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on the LInux box, and
> >> for interests sake I have found the port at /dev/ttyS0.
> >>
> >> I am not currently running Nitros9, just OS-9 Level II.

> > I forget the 8n1 part.
> > now from the coco's screen, what does an "xmode /t2" say?
> >
> > It should look something like this:
> > {t2|07}/DD/NITROS9/3.2.9:xmode /t2
> > nam=t2 mgr=SCF ddr=sc6551 hpn=07 hpa=FF68 upc=00 bso=01 dlo=00
> > eko=01 alf=01 nul=00 pau=01 pag=18 bsp=08 del=18 eor=0D
> > eof=1B rpr=09 dup=01 psc=17 int=03 qut=05 bse=08 ovf=07
> > par=01 bau=06 xon=00 xof=00 col=50 row=32 xtp=02 wnd=02
> > val= sty= cpx= cpy= fgc= bgc= bdc=
>
> Well the OS9 xmode output is a lot different, but here is what I
> currently have.
>
> OS9: xmode /T2
>  -upc bsb bsl echo lf null=0 pause pag=24 bsp=08 del=18
> eor=0D eof=1B reprint=04 dup=01 psc=17 abort=03 quit=05
> bse=08 bell=07 type=00 baud=06 xon=11 xoff=13

kill the shell, then do an xmode /t2 xon=00 xoff=00, then restart the shell,
you may have an xoff lockout somehow.

When doing a file listing over this circuit, pause can be turned off, and
xon/xoff can be done from the keyboard where a ctl+w is xoff, and a ctl+s is
an xon.

> > Although this xmode is a little mouthier than yours I expect.  You
> > probably won't see anything beyond the the 'row=32' and the number
> > there may be smaller than 32.
> >
> >> done

> >> done
> >
> > Did you get a process number on the screen as a return when you did
> > that?
>
> Yes, something like &003

Sounds about right.  And back to building or otherwise obtaining one of
those line sniffers. I'd disconnect and ring out my cable, but that would
run me up and down the basement stairs a couple hundred times, not quite an
enjoyable scene at 76.  It might run some weight off and help my diabetes
though. ;-)  A lot simpler done if I hadn't put the connectors on after
running the cable through the floor and a bunch of 2x8 floor joists.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)