[Coco] Glenside IDE booting problems

Don Johnson coco at fivejohnsons.com
Fri Dec 3 18:06:53 EST 2010

On 2010-12-03, at 1:54 PM, Bob Devries wrote:

> Robert Gault said:
>
>> OK, while I agree that a switch to NitrOS-9 is advisable, here is what you can start with for testing purposes. Do not place cc3hdisk and H0 after RBF. Use the exact order of modules found in your most recent working OS9Boot list with cc3hdisk and h0 AT THE END. This will avoid the "boot order bug" that Gene referred to. Even if there might be a problem with the location of cc3hdisk and h0, you should at least be able to boot from the floppy without hard drive access.
>>

> Don told us he was using the CONFIG programme from the original OS9 release. That being so, I don't think he has control over the order of modules in the OS9Boot file.

Correct I was using the Config utility to create a new System Disk, but the disk that came with the IDE Interface included a copy of EZGen as well.  With that program I was able to add the Glenside drivers and descriptor directly to a backup of a System Disk, and in doing so control which module I added them behind in the OS9Boot file, thus controlling the module order.

I found that putting the hard disk modules lower in the list than the floppy disk drive modules worked and I was able to boot OS9 from the floppy drive with the Hard Drive modules included.  I've run into a couple other problems since then, but I was able to move the modules around with EZGen to help solve the initial problem.

> Regards, Bob Devries
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Gault" <robert.gault at att.net>

>>> 12 $C1 $FD1FEA . IOMan
>>> 67 $C0 $0B2322 . Init