[Coco] Glenside IDE booting problems

Don Johnson coco at fivejohnsons.com
Fri Dec 3 15:35:49 EST 2010

On 2010-12-03, at 4:04 AM, gene heskett wrote:

> [...]
> the +1 sized version, wash rinse repeat till it worked.  Because of the way
> os9 scanned the file, the trash bytes had to be added by using ded to adjust
> its SIZE integer, the 'v' to fix the crc and 'w' to actually write the new,
> longer module.
>
>> 28	$D1		$EFBE13	.	RBF
>
>>  5	$E1		$02BF2A	.	CC3HDisk
>> 82	$F1		$0C9F6C	.	H0
>
> If these modules are the tandy issued modules, you may as well give up.
> They are hard coded for the very outrageously priced ($129 & local taxes)
> Tandy HD controller which was not a scsi controller, but s SASI controller,
> and the /H0 descriptor AIR there were two) were hard coded for the sizes of
> a couple of hard drives Tandy was trying to sell at about $600, set for 5
> and 15 megabytes IIRC.
>
>>  9	$E1		$759161	.	CC3Disk
>> 82	$F1		$FC1918	.	D0
>> 82	$F1		$9F46Ca	.	D1
>> 82	$F1		$E6B118	.	DD
>> 13	$D1		$F946CA	.	SCF
>> 12	$E1		$CC3EA4	.	PRINTER
>> 83	$F1		$FE3BAE	. 	P
>> 16	$E1		$F737C2	.	CC3IO
>> 14	$C1		$6E4441	.	GrfInt
>> 83	$F1		$EC1C40	.	Term
>> 83 	$F1		$75DEBB	.	 W
>> 83	$F1		$7CD180	.	W1
>> 83 	$F1		$8EE4C6	.	W2
>> 83 	$F1		$E42902	.	W3
>> 83	$F1		$119408	.	W4
>> 83	$F1		$C109F3	.	W5
>> 83	$F1		$A3C36E	.	W6
>> 83	$F1		$AC6B4B	.	W7
>>  4	$D1		$AD6718	.	PipeMan
>>  2	$E1		$5B2B56	.	Piper
>> 80	$F1		$CC06AF	.	Pipe
>>

>> I produced this list with the -s option, but without it all the CRC
>> checks showed (Good).
>>
>>> and a list of the contents will be printed to the screen. Each module
>>> listed should say Good and you should list all the module names. The
>>> list should look exactly like any other OS9Boot file you have
>>> created, except for the presence of the Glenside driver and
>>> descriptor. Can we assume you have been able to create any boot disks
>>> that work for a pure floppy system and actually boot you into OS-9?
>>>
>>> Make sure that your new boot disk contains a shell and gfrdrv in the
>>> CMDS directory.
>>
>> I created the system disk with a full copy of the commands from the
>> original System disk, and I verified that both the shell and gfrdrv
>> commands were there.
>
> You can build a working floppy only system from the stock disks, but its so
> much easier to 'get it right' with nitros9 simply because so many bugs have
> been fixed, and even on a 6809 cpu, it is now about twice as fast as the
> original os9 was.  There are working drivers for many of the hard drive
> controllers we can use in nitros9, but the superdriver from the cloud9 site
> works faster & with all but the LR-Tech kit, it hasn't been tested as no
> one has one.
>
> You said you didn't have a 'pc' to download this stuff with?  How are you

Well I have pile of Macs and one Linux server here, but none of them have a floppy connected to them.  Even the linux box won't support the insertion of one of my old 5 1/4" floppy drives that I have lying around for my CoCo because it has a different floppy connector on the motherboard and an incompatible power connector.

> If it helps any, my web pages have disk images that IF you have a floppy
> controller, something like the linux 'dd' command can write these to a 3.5"
> or 5.25" 360k floppy disk.  Various operating systems have various tools for
> this.  For my own lashup here, my ASUS motherboards floppy controller does
> not do 256 byte/sector disk formats, so I am forced to run a session of
> minicom on this linux box, to a shell running against my deluxe 232 pack,
> so I am logged into the coco from here, and can then run rz/sz to move this
> stuff back and forth.

Okay this may have potential as I do have a mini232 pack here from CoNect that I can use.  Of course I have no experience in this form of communication between a Linux box and the CoCo3, but I should have all the parts.   I different task than this thread, but do you have any instructions on how you set this up?

> I see that a basic09 util I wrote to write these
> images from my 1Gb HD to floppies on the coco isn't available, but I will
> try to make it so at some point today.

> The coco isn't on ATM as I haven't
> booted it since we got back from a wedding in FL this past weekend.
>
> See <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/nitros9/level2/coco3/>
> and download the "nos96809l2v030209coco3_40d_1.dsk"
> and "	nos96809l2v030209coco3_40d_2.dsk" files.  Then get them onto floppies,
> writing them as whole disk images, not as  common files.
> The first image s/b directly boot able when placed on a floppy and inserted
> in drive 0 IF your drives are actually double sided drives, which many
> were.  The 40d_2.dsk is all the tools and modules to build your own boot
> disks, which in turn can give you the tools to run some hard drives.
>
> My images are now about 10 months old, and I see that Mark has a link to
> the sourceforge repo, which if you click on the nitros9 disk image will
> take you to where you can either buy it on floppies for a small fee, or
> download the nightly build which are even newer than what is available on
> my pages.  My pages as you can see, have no commercials, they are actually
> living on this machine, a linux box running pclos.
>
> And I can recommend both HDB-DOS and the superdriver, plus one of the HD
> controllers Mark sells as the ultimate coco3 hard drive system.

Yeah that is bound to be my end point of this whole experience I'm sure.