[Coco] usb to serial adaptors and drivewire

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 17:16:43 EDT 2010

In my experience, they work fine most of the time.  I've used both DW3
and DW4 with a variety of adapters on a variety of computers and OSes.
Never found a combination that doesn't work at all, but Windows 7 + a
cheap Prolific adapter would cause a blue screen of death every few
days of continuous operation.   It seems almost all adapters have
either Prolific or FTDI chipsets.  The cheaper ones use Prolific.
There are some notes in the DW4 wiki that can help you get better
speeds (+%30) with FTDI adapters, they seem to be set up for very high
speed by default, and need to be adjusted for 115.2k.  Prolific seem
to perform at the same speed as a real serial port without any
adjustment.
That's about all I know about usb -> serial adapters.
-Aaron