[Coco] Cable for Color Computer Disk drive

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:31:48 EDT 2010

On Monday, August 16, 2010 07:26:59 pm Mike Rowen did opine:

> I have been slowly assembling components for a working Coco 3 system. I
> have separately obtained a 128k Coco 3, a Tandy disk controller card
> that greets me with Extended Disk Color Basic 2.1, and a Tandy Color
> Computer 5.25" disk drive. I do not have a ribbon cable to connect the
> disk drive to the controller card. Can anyone tell me if this a
> straight through ribbon cable or what cable is required if it isn't?
> Thanks.
>
> -Mike

A straight through is the favored choice of knowledgeable folks who are
capable of changing the default address of their drive.  If not, then the
tandy twisted cable should be used, and it is not exactly identical to the
IBM std version of it.  One should be able to find a howto on the web
showing how to make both cables.  The tandy cable IIRC, removes pins from
the drive connector to prevent access to more than one drive, the ibm,
method does not, but limits the setup to only 2 drives.

With a full cable 4 SS drives can be used, or 3 DS drives.  That is why it
is the preferred type.