[Coco] Coco 3 Missing Mystery Color Mode

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 00:28:29 EDT 2010

--

PIA 1 in the CoCo 3 does not control video in the same manner as on
the CoCo 1 and 2, but writing to the PIA is noticed by the GIME.

In the old CoCos the graphics display was taken care of by the Video
Display Generator (VDG). Controls were passed from the CPU to the VDG
by way of Peripheral Interface Adapter 1 (PIA1). The graphics display
of the CoCo 3 is handled entirely by the GIME chip, which has
eliminated the need to pass controls through PIA1. However, in order
to maintain compatibility with the older CoCos, a register has been
built into the GIME chip which will retain any information written to
the old VDG control bits of $FF22. This internal GIME chip register is
not accessible by the user and any data returned by reading $FF22 will
come from PIA1, not from the GIME chip. The PIA1 bits, which provided
control to the VDG in the older CoCos, are not used in the CoCo 3. Bit
2 of $FF22 (RAMSZ) is also not used - there is no hardware flag in the
CoCo 3 to tell the user if the system contains 128K or 512K. The
existence of the GIME chip’s internal $FF22 register has allowed the
addition of some extra features to the CoCo 3's CoCo compatible mode
(32 column). Bits 4 (upper/lower case) and 5 (invert) can be used to
invert the foreground and background colors of the text screen or to
allow true lower case characters. If bit 4 = 0, the ASCII codes from
0-31 will be the inverse video representations of the codes from
64-95. If bit 4 = 1, the ASCII codes from 0-31 will contain lower case
characters. Appendix I contains a complete chart of theses codes. If
bit 5 = 0, the text screen will be black characters on a green
background. If bit 5 = 1, the text screen will be green characters on
a black background.