[Coco] Coco 3 Missing Mystery Color Mode

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 22:13:26 EDT 2010

This may seem like a very foolish question to those of you on the list who
are Coco hardware experts, but I had to ask.

I was reading a 1989 Coco-Link magazine from Australia this weekend and came
across this bit of information I had never heard of before.  They stated
that the PIA outputs, which control the display modes of the video display
chip (6847) on the Coco2, are not connected to anything on the Coco3.  They
went on to show a hardware project that could use these unused PIA outputs.

I'm not sure that the above information is even true, but if true, could our
missing high color video mode be a result of this "non-connection"?  (OK, go
tell me to crawl back in my hole.)

-- Steve --