[Coco] vertical lines on screen

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Tue Apr 13 10:46:56 EDT 2010

What you are seeing is the video noise of the CoCo's analog video
system.  As the logic chips (CPU, memory, registers and others) do their
work, the power supply levels change ever so slightly.  While this
change does not effect the computer logic chips, it does play havoc with
the analog circuits.  You can see it from the juggle in joysticks to the
background noise coming from the cassette out line.

Better filtering on the part of the video circuit would have clean all
the that video noise.  But so would a more powerful power supply with
more capacitors on the power supplies pins of the digital parts.  I had
one CoCo 3 (per-production unit) that I needed to add/replace a few
capacitors to get the video to a point that I could see my game in all
the noise.

Steve

P.S. Before you jump in about juggle on the joystick is caused by other
sources.  Yes, I know that many problems with the joysticks on the
CoCo,  from unshielded wire to dirty pots to poorly written ADC code
will cause the joystick  to wiggly all over the place.