[Coco] NitrOS-9 Project Website

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Wed Apr 7 02:12:52 EDT 2010

I found a reasonably easy way to convert Word documents to WIKI format:

1) Email the Word document to your Gmail account

2) In Gmail, view the document as HTML

3) Copy everything between (but not including) the <body> and </body> tags
to the clipboard

4) Paste the text into
http://www.ebruni.it/en/software/os/i_love_wiki/index.mpl

5) Copy the wiki code into a new or existing wiki page

The conversion is far from perfect, but all that's really needed after the
conversion is a lot of editing to make sure tags are correct. For example,
Gmail left in all the <font> tags so I used search/replace to remove them. I
also found that bold/italic tags were run together in some places so I had
to manually separate or remove them as appropriate. Even with all the hand
editing, it's still significantly easier than doing it from scratch by hand.

The most severe limitation I'm seeing is that wiki format isn't exactly the
speed demon of the Internet; specifically, it's taking a couple minutes to
save the NitrOS-9 Technical Reference using ScrewTurn Wiki on a fairly beefy
server. Once it's saved, the resulting page opens relatively quickly.
Unfortunately, I can't get the SourceForge to save the page yet. It keeps
timing out the connection before it's finished.