[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 05:23:06 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 10:45 PM, <wdg3rd at comcast.net> wrote:

Verizon may work great back home, it's the pits in New Jersey.  Any amount
> of rain (and we get a lot more rain in Jersey than back home in Los Angeles)
> FIOS shits itself.  I don't have it at the house, but it's what we have at
> the office (where I'm just a clerk, I gave up on tech support and system
> administration, too much liver damage -- thee and me first met at the
> downtown LA computer center when my (ex)wife and your fiancee were working
> at the repair shop down near LAX).  FIOS is crap (or maybe Verizon is).  At
> the house, though we've had our differences, I'll stick with Comcast for a
> few more weeks.  For me, it works.  (Unlike my dishwasher, which died this
> week, so it's time I haul my ass into the kitchen and make up for it -- and
> I really, really hate washing dishes, but I can't afford a replacement just
> now).
>
> --
> Ward Griffiths

Good ol' Verizon. While not being a hip-hip-hooray fan of the company, I
volunteer that the sheer population density of both NJ and NY (particularly
NYC) has to be taken into notice when evaluating the telecom services. I
deal with Verizon almost on a monthly basis in regards to maintenance to the
several data links my company relies on for its day-to-day; sometimes I have
had to report the same circuit down twice a week: they fix it and then it
goes again (bad power supplies, switches and others at the CO, flooding,
etc) - considering the amount of stuff wired everywhere it is sort of a
miracle that the networks work most of the time.

At home (Staten Island) I am with Time Warner. Been a while since I clocked
the data throughput of the connection but for what I use is more than
enough, and its uptime score is high, the times the network has gone down it
has been usually due to a snow/rainstorm... I am not the kind to do computer
stuff during a storm so I don't miss it - those are the perfect
opportunities for some acoustic guitar strummin' :-)

-- Rogelio