[Coco] Backup CoCo floppy directly to PC using Drivewire & HDB-DOS?

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Fri Sep 25 15:10:08 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 08:45:54AM -0400, Robert Gault wrote:
> Fedor Steeman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I still got a little birth day money to spend, so I was considering what
>> neat stuff to get for my CoCo. I already intend to get the Bluetooth Pak,
>> although CoCoNet is not ready yet.
>>
>> However, regarding my little endeavor discussed earlier on the list (see
>> below) I was wondering whether DriveWire can solve a current problem for me.
>>

>> Wanting to back up a lot of diskettes, I was wondering whether I using
>> DriveWire and HDBDOS simply can use the BACKUP command to directly transfer
>> a diskette's content to PC.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>>
>>  Cheers,
>> Fedor
>>
>> BTW I love what Roger did with his site...
>>
>> 2009/1/19 Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
>>
> You can do it but it takes a bit of care to get things right.
>
> DriveWire can mount four images on your PC. These images can be either
> virtual floppies or virtual hard drives. HDBDOS for DriveWire expects
> that you are using either virtual hard drives on your PC or floppies on
> your Coco. The trick is to coordinate these two programs so that a real
> floppy will talk to a virtual floppy/hard drive.
>
>  As an example, let's say you have a floppy on the Coco in drive#0 and
> want to make a floppy image on the PC. You shouldn't mount a blank image
> in DriveWire #0 because you can't simultaneously talk to DW3#0 and
> floppy #0.
>  So, mount an image in DW3#1 and a floppy in Coco3 #0. Start up a DW3
> version of HDBDOS on the Coco3 and enter DRIVE#1. That will indicate
> that the DW3#1 drive will be used for the virtual drive.
>  Now enter DRIVEOFF0, that is DRIVEOFFzero which indicates to HDBDOS
> that drive#0 is a true floppy and virtual drives start at drive#1. You
> can now enter BACKUP0TO1 (i.e. BACKUPzeroTOone) or use the COPY command
> for a single file.
>
>  YOU ARE NOT HOME FREE AT THIS POINT IN THE PROCESS!!! There is a big
> gotcha because HDBDOS thinks you were talking to drivelette#1 on drive#1
> not drivelette#0. That means your virtual disk on the PC has 70 tracks
> and the contents of the floppy went to the second 35 tracks!
>  What you really wanted to do is have a 35 track virtual floppy not a 70
> track double disk. If you mounted this hybrid in a Coco emulator, you
> probably could transfer the contents to a normal 35 disk image. But
> there is another approach.
>  If you use a RAM disk with HDBDOS for DriveWire, you can use the
> following process. Mount a virtual floppy in DW3#0 and a real floppy in
> drive0. Start a RAM disk on the Coco and backup drive0 to RAM. Switch on
> the DW3#0 with DRIVEON and then backup the RAM disk to DW3#0 drive0. Now
>  DriveWire will think you are talking to the first drivelette on drive#0
> and you will get a normal 35 track virtual disk.
>  This assumes you have extra memory on a Coco3 so that you can run a RAM
> [...]

All those issues you describe is why I don't use drivewire drives 0-3. It causes
to many conflicts with floppies. There are of course a small handfull of exceptions
but normally the lowest drivewire drive I use is four. This is of course made practical
by drivewire allowing multiple 256 floppy images.

Frank