[Coco] CoCo/PC hybrid....

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Sep 15 17:02:56 EDT 2009

That's pretty slick, but I think what I'm asking for would be cheaper to
make. You really just need a way to decode the address bits. Plus it
doesn't really need to read a cartridge, it could just act like the port
with a wire wrap header for experimenters. My idea is really to do it as
cheap as possible -- costs is the main reason the CC in an FPGA on a new
board hasn't gone over well. Most of us have older PCs that aren't much
good for anything, P1/2/3/4 machines that are cheap now because they are
outdated. Would still make a fast CC4/hybrid machine. To tell the truth,
the whole "PC as CC4" bit could do without the cartridge port
altogether, there's nothing that the CoCo could do (except I/O control)
through the port that can't be emulated. So unless you wanted to use the
port for a relay board or some other type of data aquisition project,
it's not necessary. -------------- Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:29:28 +1000
From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> Frank Swygert wrote:

> > I'm almost convinced that it would be relatively cheap
> > and easy to make a small converter board that would plug into a standard
> > parallel port and take a CoCo cartridge.

IMHO, you're better off going down this path...
<http://www.snega2usb.com/wordpress/>

Make sure you check out the video, it's pretty schmick!  ;)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"