[Coco] CoCo/PC hybrid....

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Sep 15 16:53:26 EDT 2009

It should be fast enough to send/receive commands for something like a
relay board too. I've seen a relay or generic I/O board for a parallel
port on a PC before. I'm looking at the maximum use of existing,
inexpensive hardware. Even a P4 small form factor computer goes for
under $200 with 512MB and a 20-40GB hard drive. Drop to a standard
Pentium or a P2/P3 class processor and it's even less -- but running a
DOS based CoCo emulator from flash memory or a USB drive would make even
a P1 one heck of a fast CoCo! Once that was up and running we could look
at expanding the capabilities of the hybrid machine to create more or
less a "CoCo4". That is if we can get the source code to one of the DOS
emulators, or the author to tweak it some. I'd think it should at least
have a CC2/3 mode, even if the advanced capabilities had to be locked
out, even if it required rebooting the system. I still like the idea of
having it boot up to a simple menu screen that had several options, one
being the capability of creating a real CoCo disk (provided an
acceptable drive is present) and transferring files. Would be even
better if CoCoNet or Drivewire were built into the emulator.

I'd really like to see SECB expanded as well as OS-9 capabilities, only
because SECB is so easy to program. The only problem is any expanded
functions would only work on the "CC4", but if the "CC4" concept
described above could be packaged on a "live cd" like some Linux
distributions (oh if it could be done with a small linux instead of
DOS!!), or on a USB drive, then there should be no problems. Nitros
would just need some new drivers...

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
Frank

EPP interface is used in configuring FPGAs. So being able to send and
read data from a ROM cartridge should not be all too tricky. Only thing
if I remember correctly EPP/ECP port speed in not all that fast. Still
fast enough to move it from the cartridge to a virtual ROM in a PC.
An interesting idea.

james