[Coco] questions about constants

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Tue Sep 15 00:42:56 EDT 2009

The ORG statement effectively sets the module offset to the address
specified, although it can be a bit more complicated that than when defining
structures. In effect, the code you give

 ORG 0
A.LABEL1 rmb 1
A.LABEL2 rmb 1
A.LABEL3 rmb 2
A.LABEL4 rmb 1
A.LABEL equ .

set the base to zero, then reserves one byte of memory for A.LABEL2, one
byte for A.LABEL2, and so forth. Looking at the actual binary data, it would
something like this:

00 00 00 00 00 ... remainder of binary data

An equate (or EQU) assigns a constant value to a label, but the label is
actually replaced with the real value. In other words, take this code:

Zero EQU 0

MySub LDA Zero
 LDB 0
 RTS

Run that through the assembler, then disassamble the resulting binary and
you'll see this:

MySub LDA 0
 LDB 0
 RTS

Going back to the top, A.LABEL EQU . is (if my brain is working half right)
5 since the current module offset is 5.