[Coco] questions about constants

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sat Sep 12 21:44:17 EDT 2009

Actually, not quite. With OS-9 assemblers

fcs /Basic09/
-or-
fcs "Basic09"

is equivalent to:

fcc 'B'
fcc 'a'
fcc 's'
fcc 'i'
fcc 'c'
fcc '0'
fcb '9' + 0x80

or equivalently

fcc "Basic0"
fcb '9' + 0x80

The differentiation is the fcb is for a single byte, fcc is for character
data, and fcs is for strings in which the last character has the high-bit
set. There is no fci, fcr, fcd with the assemblers that came with OS-9 or
the Development System.

The delimiters don't really matter quite so much with fcc/fcs so you can use
/, ', ", and perhaps a few others depending on your needs, but the delimiter
at the start of the string must be the delimiter used to end the string.