[Coco] Emulator

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Sep 10 09:26:34 EDT 2009

You had to call me out on that, didn't you? It's been a long time!! Actually, that's exactly what I did... I think. My program had to have an 80 column screen, and would only run on a CC3 with monitor because of that. I forget if I checked for more than 64K or checked for the DECB version. The later will tell you what CoCo you have, or the BASIC ROM version would be more accurate. In other BASIC programs I just checked for the least common denominator. If it required disk and 64K (or more), check for one, and if present check for the other. I might have required 512K, but don't think so. Even a 128K machine could use a 32K or so ram disk for the main menu program for a bit faster operation, but I really don't recall what I did as far as memory requirements.

You're right about the CC1 and 64K... and even the ROM could be upgraded, so you really can't tell what CC model you have in software. But that is irrelevant, as a fully upgraded CC1 has all the capabilities of a later CC2, and the capabilities is what you're really testing for. There are some peeks to check the ROM and memory, just don't recall them.

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:58:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wayne Campbell <asa.rand at yahoo.com>

I never knew there was a way to check and see which CoCo you were running. I mean, yea, 64K or greater memory = CC2 or 3, but even a CoCo1 could be upgraded to 64K. Perhaps the ROMs have the info needed to determine which CoCo is being used?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"