[Coco] GOTO and code maintainability

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Sep 7 16:55:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 09:26:22AM -0400, Aaron Banerjee wrote:

> All of us have at least at one point in time either used, or tried to
> figure out code containing GOTO statements.  In a recent programming
> environment I was in, GOTO (or it's equivalent in whatever language we
> happened to be programming) was expressly forbidden -- no exceptions
> no matter what.

Oh yes, the whole "GOTO considered harmful" thing.  You shoulda seen
the grad student teaching FORTRAN 77 trying to avoid GOTO.  It was
rather funny.

Me, I'm not afraid of GOTO.  Like any other programming-language
construct, it can be used sanely, or insanely.

I offer the spaghetti inheritance in the standard libraries of
languages like Java and C++ as a counter-example.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard