[Coco] Emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 6 22:48:33 EDT 2009

Wayne Campbell wrote:

> This is very interesting. I assumed Vcc didn't run when I tried it
> because it was treated by XP the same way all other 16-bit programs
> I've tried to run were treated. The window closes faster than it opens.
> Are there any special settings or anything I should know about when
> installing it? I don't recall seeing anything in the documentation that
> suggested special settings...
>
> As to NitrOS-9, perhaps it is better than it used to be. Maybe it's just
> my memory being faulty, but I could swear that many of the basic commands
> included with OS-9 Level II as having parameter options that are absent
> in the version of NitrOS-9 I have. Then there's the fact that the .os9
> image for the 80-track version of the /dd descriptor doesn't include the
> /d1 or /d2 descriptors for 80-track drives. I have found nothing on the
> images supplied that will allow me to use the default descriptors for
> those drives to build a custom bootfile either.
>
> I would much rather have the original OS-9 level II disk and the
> development system disk. At least then I would be able to isolate
> problems as being related to MESS, and not the OS or Basic09.
>
> Wayne
>
> http:

Wayne,

Unless you give specific examples which we can test, there is no
reasonable way to argue the benefits of either OS-9 Level II or versions
of NitrOS-9. I've used both and have not found any functionality in OS-9
Level II missing from NitrOS-9.
Recent versions of NitrOS-9 available from Source Forge have significant
differences in syntax and that could indeed prove a problem until you
become familiar with the changes.