[Coco] Emulator

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Sep 6 16:03:57 EDT 2009

Why not go back to an older version of MESS that works well, then pare it down to only emulate the CoCo? It's open source software and can be modified. You could also work with the VCC author on making updates, and there is the Keil emulator also.

Personally, I don't see why updates are that important. The idea of an emulator is to as nearly emulate a CoCo 1/2/3 as possible, not to make an improved machine. If that's what you want to do, however, using an emulator as a base is a good way to go. There are some good inexpensive ITX boards with the Atom and AMD Geode, as well as a PowerPC based chip that would make a wonderful base for a CoCo-like machine that ran OS-9. The only thing is just how compatible can it be? Should be able to make it Level II software compatible with a few minor hacks, but then drivers can be written to intercept output and send it to the appropriate device.