[Coco] Micro SD CoCo

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Oct 21 13:08:24 EDT 2009

At 08:25 AM 10/21/2009, you wrote:
>Finally! I have seen the same thing for the Atari ST, Apple 2 and
>Commodore 64 and was hoping the Coco would follow with a similar system soon.
>
>What kind of price point are you thinking of asking for this and is
>there a semi set release date?

The release date and price for the disk/drive pak will mainly depend
on a handful of preorders to get me started better.  That's a
guarantee that I will have enough parts on hand to produce orders
quicker instead of sending off for parts per order and too frequently
which puts me in a bind.

I also whipped up a tiny adaptor board in ExpressPCB which I can
repeat in a grid fashion on a 3.8" x 2.5" board that they make for a
special price (3 for $51).  I need to send off for those boards and
of course find the 90-degree male and female headers (1x5 and 1x6) to
solder in.  That's the tiny adaptor that must go between the drive
module and the serial pak header.  I just connects the right pins
together and adds a few resistors to pull up the TX and RX lines to
5v in case of float since the module has an autobaud detector (which
is nice).  This will still take up less space than the EB301 wireless module.

Too many other details probably won't matter much at this time.  The
pak will just WORK right out of the box.  Any support files or demos
will actually be on the pak itself and you can get to them simply by
typing "DIR" or "DOS" to boot into NitrOS-9.  :)  Anything else would
be overselling the idea.  I think it speaks for itself.

I'm watching the tiny LED on the drive module right now and it looks
like a Strobe Light as I read every sector on DRIVE 0.  The CoCo is
at 2mhz.  Even at 1mhz, it's still way faster than a real floppy system.

When I'm done I should have it where one could plug in a wireless pak
and a drive pak and just load up their card from their PC over the
air, but we'll still be able to image the card on the PC (backup,
add/remove virtual drives, etc.) regardless.

--
~ Roger Taylor