[Coco] off-topic: USB drives scam?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 15 16:34:15 EDT 2009

Roger Taylor wrote:

> For this reason I've given up on USB sticks until I can fix the ones I
> have.  If they can't be fixed, I'll have to put this one on my bamboozle
> list.

My colleague bought a batch of counterfeit Corsair 64GB USB drives a few
months ago. Fortunately he bought them from a reputable dealer and was able
to obtain a full refund once they discovered they were selling counterfeits.
He's still got them but never used them - reportedly they have similar
problems as you describe.

You just need to be sure that you're buying genuine product and you'll be
right. Same story with "Sony" memory sticks a few years back. The adages
"you get what you pay for" and "if it's too good to be true..." apply here.
I paid a premium for my Corsair 16GB sticks but never had a problem with them.

Regards,