[Coco] [Color Computer] Klendathu.bas

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 12 19:22:47 EDT 2009

John Grabau wrote:
> hello all,
>     I just got a used coco2 (I had one back in 1982) and hooked it up and got it working... I just won on e-Bay a Dungeons of Dagorath cart to play that great game again... I found an old cassette drive (not a Tandy) and made a home brew cable and got that working... now I found out how to convert a .cas file to .wav to play on my laptop and hook it to my home brew cable and got to play a couple of games on the coco...
>
> my question is does anybody have a kendathu.cas copy, or know where I can get one... or tell me how to convert the klendathu.bas copy i have to get it to work?
>
> I have not used, or know how to use an emulator for the coco... I have M.E.S.S up and running with the coco2 roms... but it wont reconize the .bas file...
>
> please help a new again coco user... thanks in advance

You need to place the file KLENDATH.BAS on a .dsk disk image, mount the
image in MESS, and then access the disk as normal.

  Now that presupposes you know how to create disk images and you
probably don't. A tool comes with the MESS package for creating disk
images. With the Windows versions of the tools, imgtool.exe and
wimgtool.exe, wimgtool.exe is by far the easier to use. (Are you using
Windows or another OS?)
  Start wimgtool.exe and select File/New. From the pop-up window select
a name/location and the filetype CoCo JVC RS-DOS .dsk. That will create
a disk image. Then select Image/Insert File  and find/select
KLENDATH.BAS with Mode - tokenized Basic, File type - Basic, and Ascii
flag - binary.

  Assuming you are running a version of Windows, messui.exe is by far
the easiest way to use MESS. When you unzipped the package, you should
have created the needed directory structure. That will include a roms
directory. You can't run any Coco emulation without having the necessary
Coco ROMs which are placed zipped in the ROM directory or unzipped in
appropriately named sub-directories.
  You can find a collection of ROM images at
http://www.coco3.com/community/products/rainbow-ide/
under BIOS collection.

  Now you are ready to start MESS emulation. From messui.exe, open the
Folder list using the far left icon. Select Source/coco.c and close the
Folder list.
  I prefer to select the List format for displaying the emulation
choices. Select, for example, Color Computer 2B. Now select Device View
and mount the newly created .dsk image in the first Floppy Disk slot.
  You will want to customize the properties of each type of emulation
but for now (with the desired emulation highlighted) hit ENTER to start
the emulation.

  With emulation started and the OK prompt on the Coco screen, you just
enter
RUN"KLENDATH"
and the program should start.