[Coco] Booting OS9 from Drive 1

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 4 22:40:31 EDT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 04 October 2009, Derek wrote:
>> I am having a problem being able to boot OS-9 in the following
>> configuration. I have an FD-502 Drive housing with a 3.5" and a 5.25"
>> drive. My 3.5" drive is set as drive 0 and my 5.25" is set as drive 1. I
>> have some old 5.25" OS-9 based disks that need to boot using the DOS
>> command. I switch to drive1 and then type DOS. It starts to load OS-9,
>> goes to the Loading OS-9 Screen but will then automatically switch to
>> drive 0 trying to access the boot data on drive 0 and not boot from the
>> 5.25" disk in drive 1. I have tried using the drive1 command to set it as
>> the boot drive but no luck.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to make it so I can boot off drive 1 and uses these
>> old 5.25" OS-9 disks without having to make a backup on to a 3.5" drive
>> for each disk I want to boot?
>>
> You could patch the boot module on track 34 & change the /d0 to /d1, but
> don't forget to set bit 8, so the hex 31 will be a hex b1.
>
>> Thank you
>>

>> ** Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization **

Derek,

The above is just part of what you need to do. You will also probably
need to change the /DD descriptor to point to drive #1 and change any
scripts , such as startup, that might point to /D0.

I believe the current version of NitrOS-9 has some scripts that make it
simple to boot from a drive other than 0. You just need to edit the
scripts and use them to create a new boot disk. The scripts will select
the correct Boot module, /DD, and any other changes that seem appropriate.