[Coco] Powering a computer room/ham shack?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Oct 1 12:03:54 EDT 2009

That shouldn't be a problem. Homeowners are allowed to do their own work, as long as it follows code and is safe. For minor changes no permit or inspection is necessary, and adding a sub panel in place of a 220 outlet would be minor. Just make sure the box is properly grounded.

I understand inspectors have to be strict, but sometimes they get carried away and assume the end user is an idiot when it comes to electricity. Most of the people on this list are more familiar with electricity than the average home owner, or at least I would assume so.

A 20A sub panel? Most electricians would just tell you to connect 3-4 outlets to the 20A 110 line and let it go at that. That's not a problem either. My understanding is there is already one 20A outlet circuit for the basement this is going into, but I don't know what it will be powering or if it's just an "empty" circuit for utility outlets. The sub panel appears to be for a little extra safety and convenience. Work on something and blow just that one breaker which is withing easy reach, not cut power to half the basement outlets then have to go upstairs to reset it. The inspector may be fine with it for that reason, you don't know until he sees it and says "yea or nay". I was just saying save some hassle with a possibly tough inspector.

from http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-lighting/number-outlets-per-braker-58789.html:

"There is no maximum quantity of outlets for a residential general
purpose lighting circuit according to the National Electric Code.

For all other than residential, the maximum is 8 outlets on a 15 amp
circuit and 10 on a 20 amp circuit. This is widely used as a guide in
residential,but is not mandatory and is flexible."

AND

"You shouldn't exceed 80% of a circuits rating, 1440 watts for 15 amps, and 1920 for a 20 amp."

Local building codes may have a limit on how many outlets per breaker. The general rule that all the residential electricians I know is no more than four outlets on a single breaker.
---------