[Coco] setuid? wasRe: Telnet to your CoCo.. and invite 6 of your friends

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Nov 30 16:42:57 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 07:13:05PM -0500, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> I think this reflects the attitude towards computer security,
> especially on micros, at the time OS-9 was created.  Basically, more
> of a feature than a requirement.

No doubt.  Still, it surprised me.  Motorola is the home of "Friar
Tuck" and "Robin Hood", after all. ;-) (Look in the Jargon File) Of
course, it may just be the Tandy version that had SETID broken.

> Another option for "safe" internet access is to combine Boisy's idea
> of locking access at the DriveWire server side with a simple account
> system.

Yes, since you've got a PC as a front-end box you can handle the
security there.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA