[Coco] drivewire serial port progress

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Mon Nov 30 11:42:01 EST 2009

I disagree. Olsen says "You are free to use this code in whole or part for your own programs." That is pretty clear. "... you may not use this code in any way to create the same type of program for public release." does seem to be contradictory.

The way it looks to me is that he doesn't want you to use it as the basis for creating a similar program (just adding enhancements, for example) then distributing it as your own. If you use parts of his code in your program in unmodified condition, and the program isn't simply an "Internet Modem" program, you should be within his intent. You're working on a DriveWire server, which is not an Internet Modem program. You want the server to contain the functionality of such a program, but it is more than just that. I don't think his intent was to prevent anyone from using the code or he'd have left the first statement out. You should be fulfilling his desire if you use the code and acknowledge his contribution in comments in the source. There should be no legal problems here at all since he first states the code can be used -- unless your DW Server is just an Internet Modem...

------------------
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:59:47 -0500
From: Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com>

Just started working on the Windows code for the Drivewire
improvements I'm working on.  The license for the "Internet Modem"
code mentioned above states:

'* This code belongs to Terry R. Olsen
'* You are free to use this code in whole or
'* in part for your own programs. But you may
'* not use this code in any way to create
'* the same type of program for public release.

I'm interpreting this to mean Mr. Olsen is not granting rights to use
his code in another project, so using it as the basis for additions to
Drivewire (or CoCoNet) seems to violate the terms.  I think I will
write the modem portion from scratch as I did on the linux side, it
isn't that much work.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"