[Coco] Telnet to your CoCo.. and invite 6 of your friends

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Mon Nov 30 11:24:08 EST 2009

I'm not very OS-9 literate. I'm assuming F$SETID is built into the kernel and not easily disabled? Would it be hard to write a routine that would intercept such a call and disable it, or disable it in some other way? I would think that for a server there is no real need to switch user IDs. Only the main server needs an ID of 0 (super user status). If another user is hung up they can just be terminated by user 0.
---------------

Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:17:12 -0700
From: Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org>

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 07:53:42AM -0500, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> I've got the inbound TCP connection portion of my project completed.
> You can now have up to 7 inbound connections to your CoCo using
> telnet.

Before you get to crazy with this you might want to play around with
programs that use setuid().  I was thumbing through the Tandy LII docs
a few days ago and noticed that, according to that infamously
error-ridden book, F$SETID (or whatever exactly it's called) doesn't
do any sort of security check, it just succeeds.  In other words, any
user can change his user id to any other user.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"