[Coco] TRS-80 Color Computer: Wikipedia Article

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Nov 28 19:30:06 EST 2009

Frank

I wont argue that Motorola pricing was higher. I would argue that the MC6800 pricing would
be a better comparison to the 6502 rather than the MC6809. The 6800 and 6502 have similar
function and instruction sets. By 1981 the 6502 and 6800 were very similar in pricing while
the 6809, a much more pwerful processor, was definitely higher in price. A more comparable
chip to compare the MC6809 to was the 8080A chip. That was the chip and the market that it
originally competed against.

Peripheral chips were a means of shifting profit to. An MPU without peripheral chips did
nothing. For every processor you had to have three or more peripheral chips in order to make
a computer. MOS Tech appeared to go that way.

One thing that may have kept the MC6809 prices up was that it was not the high runner that
Motorola may have really wanted. The 68000 showed that, along with the lack luster showing
of the MC6809 based EXORCISER/EXORset computers. The MC68K versions seemed to
do a bit better and HP and Apple were using more of the 68K chips in product than what
even Radio Shack was with the COCO lines. The 68K series of processors found their way
into intrumentation from LeCroy Oscilliscopes to many of HP's test equiptment and early
industrial computers.

I don't think that the 6809 series ever got beyond a 6 inch wafer or beyond 0.75 micron
technology. I know that Motorola was still using 4 inch wafer fabs even as late as 1988 for
production. I know the MC6809 has at least three different mask ID numbers and the
MC6809 has at least four mask ID numbers. Why because I have chips with three different
mask ID numbers. That does indicate changes to the chip either in technology change like a
die shrink, a wafer size increase to lower unit costs, or even enhancements to improve yields
that would also affect per unit cost. So Motorola was at least trying to improve profits or
maintain profit margins on the 6809 up to it cancellation date.

just some thoguhts.

james