[Coco] curses update

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 10:29:20 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM, richec <rcrislip at neo.rr.com> wrote:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 09:45:34 Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>> >From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ncurses
>>
>> ncurses is a programming library providing an API, allowing the
>> programmer to write text user interfaces in a terminal-independent
>> manner. It's a toolkit for developing "GUI-like" apps which run under
>> a terminal emulator. It also optimizes screen changes, in order to
>> reduce the latency experienced when using remote shells.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM, richec <rcrislip at neo.rr.com> wrote:
>> > < S N I P !  8-) >
>> >
>> > Hi Willard,
>> >
>> > Forgive my ignorance, are you working on a untility called curses or a
>> > game? TIA. I am asking because I am trying to figure out how to classify
>> > this thread in my archives.
>> >
>> > --
>>
> Thanks Aaron,
>
> I have a much better idea of where to file this discussion now. My Programming
> experiences have been limited to CoCo BASIC, IBM mainframe Assembler, COBOL,
> FORTRAN, and a few other languages that are not in much use today <sigh>.
> Although I do have some very limited exposure to C++... I was teaching it 8-O.
> I am NOT a programmer however, which is why I am not familiar with this tool.

Even as a "non programer" these days, the work to port curses is great
news because a huge amount of software which is freely available in
source form uses this library for it's screen output.  This is a big
step in opening the door to porting that software to os9.  I haven't
had time to play with Mr. Goosey's code yet, but I am very excited to
hear about the progress and plan to start working with it soon.

-Aaron