[Coco] OO programming - [Was]:Emulator

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 6 22:23:45 EST 2009

Mark McDougall wrote:

> I studied computer science as my 1st degree, and despite the name of my
> course, I was well and truly a "programmer" for the first few years in
> the workforce. A few years later I returned to study Electrical
> Engineering, and since then I see myself more as a "software engineer".

To add a comment or two...

My best mate did the _same_ Computer Science degree as me back in '84. He
has worked as a "programmer" for over 20 years now, but is ignorant of
pretty much anything outside the sphere of his work experience. It would
take him 6 weeks to get a LED blinking on an 8051 dev kit. In fact, he
struggles installing windows on his own PC. Though to be fair, he has always
been bone lazy, never interested in learning anything for himself, and would
rather phone me to ask a question than type a few search terms into Google.

My wife took a print-out of a directory listing into work to give to a
colleague (a list of video files to be exact). One of the IT guys there - at
an IT company no less - saw that it was a list of files, and remarked "WOW,
how did you do that?" :O

Regards,