[Coco] OO programming - [Was]:Emulator

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 4 22:19:11 EST 2009

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> The coco is not an object oriented system.  I don't see how using one
> to implement a Coco would improve one's understanding of the Coco any
> more than writing a procedural emulator would.

Ditto.

> There are no limitations in
> MESS that prevent implementing any feature (that I've heard of, at
> least) that is desired from a new emulator.

This point (alone) may be arguable, though I can't offer any specific
counter-examples.

Although I don't agree with Fedor's claims that some of my own points
reinforce his argument, I'm not going to bore our Coco group members by
going further off-tangent. Rather, I'll silently respect his opinion.

I think it can be safely said that Fedor, Aaron and myself generally agree
at some level; where we differ is our opinion on its suitability and
proported benefits for a Coco emulator. And here we shall remain divided. :)

Again, don't let this stop any of you from starting your own Coco emulator
project, whether it be in C, C++, BASIC, ASM, Lisp.... OK, Lisp? Really?
Think about it... Java... Java? You deserve what you get... ;)

Regards,