[Coco] Emulator - back to the thread's original question

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 1 07:12:59 EST 2009

Fedor Steeman wrote:

> besides that, it is not object-oriented. That is why I am hinting at
> BlitzMax which is powerful, easy and object-oriented.

What is the big attraction to object-oriented? Like any other methodology,
it has its place and is more suited to some problems than others. In fact,
I'd even venture to declare that OO is _not_ suitable, or at the very least
not much of an advantage, to a single-platform (eg Coco) emulator design.

Those that sprout the view that OO is the be-all-and-end-all to programming
solutions have, IMHO, limited experience in real world problems (as in,
limited _range_ of experience, not necessarily limited (time) programming
experience) and/or limited understanding of when and how to best incorporate
OO design principles. Yes, you can solve any problem with OO languages if
you really desire, but it's not always the best solution. And I've seen some
really _bad_ and really _pointless_ "OO programs" in the real world.

And I don't mean to insinuate that you yourself fall into the above category.

If the objective is fun and self challenge - by all means knock yourself
out! You can't have too many Coco emulators after all! ;)

That aside, I do actually agree with your "fuzz" comment. I'm a very
occasional Coco emulator user and I do find myself having to relearn how to
use MESS each time I need to crank up an emulator. However, at the end of
the day, MESS still suits my own purposes (primarily development) and it is
my emulator of choice.

Regards,