[Coco] VCC 1.40 emulator issues

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 29 01:14:48 EST 2009

To Joseph Forgione,

I didn't have your e-mail handy, so I posted to the list in case
you're lurking.

I hope you're planning on an update of the VCC CoCo 3 emulator.  If
so, here are some things I'd like to see:

Mimicking of the "unavailable hardware port" read values.  Some
CoCo's read back 126 decimal if a port is not there, for
example.  I've never really seen a CoCo report 0 when a port is
missing.  Some software peeks at a port, and/or writes and reads back
the value to determine whether a device is plugged in.

Also, writing to an FDC register keeps reading back 0.  On my CoCo 3
with Super Controller, writing to 65353 (track register) will read
back the same value, letting me know the FDC is available.  So, my
CoCoNet ROM (Disk BASIC 1.1 replacement) can't detect the FDC from
VCC using my current method.

How would I go about writing a DLL that could mimick my Drive Pak or
Wireless Pak?  Each pak contains the CoCoNet ROM (16k) and a 6551
ACIA.  I'd have to write the MicroDrive emulator in the DLL that
somehow accesses up to 2G of storage on the PC and talks back to the
CoCo just like the real MicroDrive module does.  I'd want the DLL to
completely emulate the Drive Pak so I, and others, can build up the
floppy disk and hard drive images within a 2G MicroSD image file and
then write it to the card later using some card imaging tool.

The MicroDrive module talks over a serial link with the 6551 at
230400 bps (I use a double speed crystal), so the Drive Pak DLL file
would be almost like the RS-232 Pak DLL but with my CoCoNet ROM in
it, and the addition of code for listening over the 6551 TX line for
commands and responding back like the MicroDrive does.

--
~ Roger Taylor