[Coco] os9/drivewire driver: success!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:46:42 EST 2009

I am super pleased to report, despite many remaining issues, I now
have a working terminal over the drivewire.  So a single cable is
proving disk, clock, print *and* a terminal on T2!  Drivewire is so
nice.  Now I need to flesh out the driver, its very incomplete, but
the concept works.  I am so excited :)

I had things sort of working all along, I just didn't understand that
Read is supposed to sleep until it can get a byte.  I was returning
when I had nothing, causing the problems I mentioned in earlier posts.

Here is an example of things working now (note process 3, this is the
shell on T2, which is using stdin/stout on my linux box, and where I'm
typing the commands). For now I've modified the drivewire server to
have no display, and just put stdin into the virtual serial port's
read buffer, write bytes from the virtual serial port to stdout.

debian-dev:~/os9/drivewireserver/linux/build# ./drivewire
(at this point I boot the Coco and type SHELL I=/T2 &.. )

Shell

OS9:dir

 Directory of .  2009/11/08 20:32
OS9Boot         CMDS            SYS             DEFS            startup
NITROS9

OS9:procs

Usr #  id pty  state   mem primary module
----- --- --- -------- --- --------------
    0   3 128  active    3 Shell <t2
    0   1 128  waiting   1 SysGo <TERM
    0   2 128 sleeping   3 Shell <TERM

OS9:mdir

  Module directory at 20:33:59
REL         Krn         KrnP2       Init        Boot
IOMan       rbdw3       dw3         DD          X1
X2          X3          RBF         rb1773      D0
D1          D2          SCF         VTIO        CoVDG
TERM        scdwp       p           scbbt       T1
scdws       t2          PipeMan     Piper       Pipe
Clock       Clock2      SysGo       Shell       Mdir

OS9: