[Coco] CoCoNet status

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 8 14:30:32 EST 2009

Hey dudes and dudettes, how about a little update on that "thing"
called CoCoNet and the progress of the MicroSD drive pak, etc.  I
have been getting e-mails asking about these things but it's hard to
get into lengthy discussions with each person or I would have no time
for anything else.  Sometimes a good update will answer a lot of
questions at once.

First, I can only produce these things efficiently and deliver
pending orders on-time, if I get new orders.  I'm sure this is
exactly how any business works, and I'm being bold to say that I feel
like Cloud-9 works this way as well.  That's my 2 cents on the
Cloud-9 topic.  Nobody's doing anybody wrong or looking down on
anybody.  People are simply GOING THROUGH ROUGH TIMES since a certain
date back in 2008.  Anybody else who's successful enough at something
to admit they're not having problems, is Lucky For Now.  They're
coming to get ya, that's for sure.  The middle class picks up the
tab, folks, one way or another.  Enough of that.

I'm asking that every die-hard CoCo user out there who wants the
ultimate experience to consider three people in your next purchase of
a CoCo gadget.  All 3 people make items that are designed to KEEP THE
COCO ALIVE.
These people are: Roger Taylor (myself), Mark Marlette, and Roy
Justus (VGA Adaptor box). If I left anybody out, please step forward
and tell us what you've been working your ass off for years to
develop for the CoCo community and you are instantly a hit in my book.

About CoCoNet.  It's not Ghostware.  I've been running it for over a
year as I write it and CONTINUOUSLY reburn EPROMs in my tests.

CoCoNet is a collection of features added to Disk BASIC 1.1 and is
burned to an EPROM that can be used in the Deluxe Wireless RS-232 Pak
or the upcoming 1GB drive pak, or your own floppy controller.
It's a 16K ROM that works in any CoCo with Extended BASIC, or any
CoCo 3 of course.   In other words, "CoCoNet works with any CoCo that
has Extended BASIC".

You can take one of my serial paks (with the TTL header) and plug in
either an EB301 bluetooth module or MicroSD drive module, plug in the
CoCoNet EPROM, and you get as many features possible Automatically.
Btw, my Deluxe Wireless Pak and drive pak both are just the serial
pak with the right module plugged in and the address configured for
either $FF68 or $FF6C.

As complicated as all of this may sound, it really is plug and play,
plug and go, or whatever you want to call an out of the box ready pak.

I've got a few more days, maybe a week, of fine tuning before I
release the 16K CoCoNet 1.0 ROM image for those who have their own
burners and want to give it a try.  I will burn EPROMs for a few
bucks plus postage, but the client ROM is free since people are going
to share it anyway.  The CoCoNet server applet for Windows will be
free as well for the same reason.

Since the client (CoCo) ROM and the PC server software will be free,
it's a free "product".  You can boot to the ROM and with the right
cartridges plugged into your MPI you can customize your own setup.

What I make and sell to help clear off your desk of bulky power
hungry gadgets is the Deluxe Wireless RS-232 Pak (bluetooth to PC)
which pretty much clones the Tandy RS-232 Pak but over the air and
has an EPROM socket which I will put the CoCoNet in to give the CoCo
an instant wireless virtual drive system.

I'm also wrapping up on a "drive pak" which will have a built in 1GB
MicroSD drive, also uses the CoCoNet ROM, and gives AT LEAST 256
virtual floppies, huge hard drives, and any other kinds of partitions
you want to add.  Disk BASIC will use up to 256 720K disks in one
partition at a time, OS-9 can have mass drives of any size and also
use the floppies... a NitrOS-9 boot disk is already on my own pak and
fires up with all the drivers and module directories so you can build
other disks or mass drives that boot using the pak, etc.  You know the drill.

I think this answers the question of "how can I get disks onto my
drive pak?", although the distro pak will be prestocked with lots of goodies.
With CoCoNet, you can mix and match 4 or 5 different TYPES of floppy
disks on DRIVES 0-3, and copy between them if you like.

115200 bps bitbanger virtual floppy disks (remote PC pathname or web URL)
	DRIVE 0,!"http://www.coco3.com/nitros9boot.dsk"
	DRIVE 1,!"http://www.coco3.com/games.dsk"
	DRIVE 2,!"c:\program filers\rainbow ide\projects\disks\mynewgame.dsk"
115200 bps RS-232 Pak virtual floppy disks (remote PC pathname or web URL)
	DRIVE 0,"http://www.coco3.com/nitros9boot.dsk"
	DRIVE 1,"http://www.coco3.com/games.dsk"
	DRIVE 2,"c:\program filers\rainbow ide\projects\disks\mynewgame.dsk"
MicroSD virtual disks (using a "drive pak")
	DRIVE 0;100  mounts disk #100 on drive 0
MicroSD LSN-based disks
	DRIVE 0;0,11,65   mounts a floppy starting at any LSN you want
Real 1793 controller floppy disks
	DRIVE 0,ON	turns ON REAL DRIVE #0
	DRIVE 0,OFF	returns to virtual drive prior

With a totally bare CoCo 1, 2, or 3 you can plug in the pak, turn the
CoCo on, type DOS and within 5 seconds you're sitting at a NitrOS-9
prompt.  You don't HAVE to do that.  You can make it where drive 0
has a game disk mounted automatically on power-up, or the system disk, etc.

Right now only the NitrOS-9 L2 6809 version is on the pak.  In a few
days I'll have an L1 version and depending on what CoCo you have the
pak in, the compatible boot disk will be used automatically when the
DOS command is used.  I haven't included the details of some of my
schemes because it'll get me off on a serious tangent, but I'm making
the pak as plug-and-play as possible so it can be used to "save a
CoCo", so to speak, bring 'er back from the dead with thousands of
games and apps without needing anything else but the little
pak.  Btw, it's the size of a game pak.

Back to work!

Roger Taylor

--