[Coco] Drivewire for Linux

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:02:55 EDT 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Bill wrote:

> No offense taken, Steve, I understand what you are saying.
>
> I’ve been ‘tinkering’ with Linux for several years now, and have set up
> several ‘Linux boxes’. Unfortunately, I spent too much time on the
> hardware aspect of the computers, and not enough on the software.

Bill,

(I'm copying the list, since this may be of help to others)

First of all, could I ask you to use ASCII text only in your e-mail?  You
have all the Microsoft markup things turned on and it makes it almost
impossible to read under Unix.  Also, it's generally considered more
courteous to add your replies underneath the prior respondant's.  I'm not
a fascist in this regard, but will warn you that a number of individuals
out there regard it as a hanging offense!

That said, here's the basic recipe for building under Linux.

Ensure that you have the following installed:

gcc
make
libc-dev
cvs

If any are missing, use apt-get to install.

Create a local sandbox with the drivewire source code.  To do this, you
will need to read the overview at:

http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=cvs&group_id=156842

Follow the directions, substituting 'drivewireserver' (no quotes) for the
modulename (shown in italics in the example on that page).

That will pull down a local copy of the sources.  Does anyone know why a
snapshot tarball isn't available?

A directory called 'drivewireserver' will have been created for you.  Dive
into the linux/build subdirectory underneath it.

Once there, type:

make

It should compile the source and leave you with a file called 'drivewire'.
That's the executable program.  Move it to the location of your choice and
run it.  You'll need to setup the basic parameters and assign files to use
as virtual disk volumes, but it saves your settings as the default for the
next time.

Good luck!

Steve