[Coco] Resolution, size and usability

Wesley Haynes wlhaynes at mindspring.com
Fri May 22 12:06:12 EDT 2009

Andrew wrote:
> Maybe the solution is a distributed effort. All of the large files
> should be put into a "raw" directory on the server(s), and people can
> download them, futz with them, then upload the new smaller versions.
> Maybe some way to be able to vote them up or down (ok, now we're getting
> into a site design area - making the problem a little more hairy,
> sorry), then after a period of time, that issue is "frozen", and the
> winner with the most votes gets to be "it" for the final.

I was thinking along these same lines, but I wonder if we can ever
please everyone with just one or two versions. Opinions here and on the
Rainbow group seem to range between the two extremes of maximum quality
vs. minimum size, and I'm afraid any effort to meet in the middle may
just leave everyone unhappy.

Maybe bittorrent is the answer. Who cares how many different formats
there are if they are all available via various torrents? A site like
maltedmedia.com may choose to host whichever versions they prefer and
maybe even host the .torrent files which point to all the other
versions. One possible problem with this approach could be whether or
not we're a large enough community to have enough seeders to keep this
going.

Wes