[Coco] [Color Computer] 1984 djvu conversion

stinger30au stinger30au at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 21 18:09:40 EDT 2009

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "jasonb1963" <jasonb1963 at ...> wrote:

> Hi Dez,
>
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "stinger30au" <stinger30au@> wrote:
> > i use gscan2pdf, open source app
>
> From http://djvu.org/resources/whatisdjvu.php:
>
> Over 90 percent of the information in the world is still on paper. Many of those paper documents include color graphics and/or photographs that represent significant invested value. And almost none of that rich content is on the Internet.
>
> That's because scanning such documents and getting them onto a Web site has been problematic at best. At the high resolution necessary to ensure the readability of the text and to preserve the quality of the images, file sizes become far too bulky for acceptable download speed. Reducing resolution to achieve satisfactory download speed means forfeiting quality and legibility. Conventional web formats such as JPEG, GIF, and PNG [formats used by Adobe's PDF format] produce prohibitively large image files at decent resolution. As a result, Web site content developers have been largely unable to leverage existing printed materials.
>
> DjVu (pronounced "déjà vu") is a new image compression technology developed since 1996 at AT&T Labs to solve precisely that problem. DjVu allows the distribution on the Internet of very high resolution images of scanned documents, digital documents, and photographs. DjVu allows content developers to scan high-resolution color pages of books, magazines, catalogs, manuals, newspapers,historical or ancient documents, and make them available on the Web.
>
> [...]
>
> DjVu typically achieves compression ratios about 5 to 10 times better than existing methods such as JPEG and GIF for color documents, and 3 to 8 times than TIFF for black and white documents.
>
> Scanned pages at 300 DPI in full color can be compressed down to 30 to 100KB files from 25MB.. Black-and-white pages at 300 DPI typically occupy 5 to 30KB when compressed.
>
> This puts the size of high-quality scanned pages within the realm of an average HTML page (which is typically around 50KB).
>
> For color document images that contain both text and pictures, DjVu files are typically 5 to 10 times smaller than JPEG at similar quality. For black-and-white pages, DjVu files are typically 10 to 20 times smaller than JPEG and five times smaller than GIF. DjVu files are also about 3 to 8 times smaller than black and white PDF files produced from scanned documents (scanned documents in color are impractical in PDF).
>
> In addition to scanned documents, DjVu can also be applied to documents produced electronically in formats such as Adobe's PostScript or PDF. In that case, the file sizes are between 15 to 20KB per page at 300 DPI.
>
> [...]
> [...]

im not getitng in to a debate over PDF or Djvu.

im well aware of both formats and thier short falls.
im also quite handy at looking up this kind of info via google or other search engines as well.

the mean reason i investiaged djvu format was to decrese the size of the pdf files

this was done as there was some who said the files were too big

so i put forward the idea of posting what countries we lived in so those with slow net connections could contact us who posted out counties and get a set on dvd or the likes

i did this twice and only the 2nd time did others join in and post their countires.
the yahoo archive has history of this to show it.

it landed on "deaf ears" so to speak as to the best of my knowledge no-one has been approached for a set of dvd's

i wont be entering in to this debate any further.