[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: pdf to djvu conversion solved

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Tue May 19 05:17:05 EDT 2009

stinger30au wrote:
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "stinger30au" <stinger30au at ...> wrote:
>>
>> ok,
>> just did another test. same file but i increased the dpi from 300 to 400 for the djvu file
>>
>> the file size for the djvu file jumped from 16 gig to 25 gig but *MAN* the text quality is spot on now. now more blurry text.
>>
>> yippie.
>>
>> not bad from my original pdf of 96 megabyte
>>
>> so if anyone wants to go nuts converting pdf files to djvu files please do so, but do it at 400 dpi not 300.

I don't know what software you're using, but I would advise never EVER using
pdf2djvu, or the Win32 version "pdf2djvu GUI" for scanned documents; it's
actually worse than doing nothing! All it does is shrink the source file to
100dpi and run wavelet compression on the result. This is NOT a real DjVu file.

The only Windows software even worth looking at, in my experience, is the
original Lizardtech "Document Express" software. It's not as tweakable as the
stuff I'm working with (which requires a *nix of some sort), but it's much
faster and it produces results that are quite good. It is, after all, the same
program the professionals use.