[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Rainbow magazines wanted for scanning

stinger30au stinger30au at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 17 01:37:46 EDT 2009

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "jasonb1963" <jasonb1963 at ...> wrote:

> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "stinger30au" <stinger30au@> wrote:
> >
> > we need these issues Jul-Dec of 82, and Jan-May of 83.
> >
> > If anyone has them and does not feel up to the task of scanning them ,please email me off list & i can help out
> >

> > this is all we have let to finish off the collection of Rainbows
> >

> Just wanted to compliment you on all the effort you've put into scanning and uploading Coco magazines.
>
> I noticed you are uploading the files in PDF format.  This is great for people who want to reproduce the magazines on paper, but it is very inefficient if you just want to be able to view them on your screen.  For that case, the DJVU format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djvu) results in files which are 10-25x smaller and look just as good on the screen as PDF documents.  Given the bandwidth limits the excalibur server is subject to, it might be worthwhile to consider making them available in this format in lieu of or in addition to the PDF format.
>
> If no one else is interested, I'll convert some of them myself and upload them to excalibur, but certainly it would be more efficient if you did this as you already have all of the files yourself.  There are lots of tools for converting DJVU to PDF, but only a few for going the other way.  One is available from http://www.trustfm.net/GeneralTools/SoftwarePdfToDjvuGUI.php?b2=1.
>
> --
> Jason

Jason,
im glad you liked the pdf scans by myself and others as well. there has been many hundreds of hours hours put in to these.

there is another member here, Wes, he has been converting the 300 dpi pdfs in to 100 and putting them on to rapidshare

if you go theru the history here at the yahoo site you will find the links or perhaps Wes might even repost the links too

dez