[Coco] RGB-DOS ROM identification

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Wed May 13 22:11:38 EDT 2009

> Hi gang,
> I have in my hardware collection an FD502 (26-3133) controller that has an
> EPROM in it that has a label with RGB-DOS $0188DC on it.
>
> How can I identify what kind of hard drive this was used with?
>
> --
> Regards, Bob Devries, Dalby, Queensland, Australia

The OS-9 offset sets the start of the disk basic disks 0 through 255.  The
space from the beginning of the disk to that offset is used for OS-9.  Any
space above disk 255 is normally inaccessible.  There are work-a-rounds to
using that higher space if it exists, but that is not yet your issue.

Short answer; any drive the same size or larger should work, (It has for me)
although I not sure about head and track issues.  IIRC; they were only used
for calculating the offset, and MFM drives did not use track and sector
numbers at the computer OS level.

Bruce W.