[Coco] [Color Computer] Way around it?

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Mon May 11 18:51:53 EDT 2009

Just to throw out a couple of ideas here...
I do have a CCR-81 recorder that's fully functional I have used with
success.
But I have also had success with 3 other methods of using the cassette cable
on portable audio devices to save/load data.

1.  Microcassette recorder
   This works well, although there is no motor control. I simply start the
REC just before I start the save operation on the coco.  I start the 'load'
operation on the coco before I start the PLAY on the unit.

2.  MiniDisc recorder.
   This nifty little unit lets me record 180 mins of mono audio in digital
cd-like format (MD's are miniature CD's smaller than a floppy and reside
inside a plastic casing making it nearly indestructible under normal use.)
I have never had one of these go bad.  I just jack it in the same way I do
on the Microcassette recorder and voila!   As a plus, I can skip tracks just
like a CD really quick and find the data I'm looking for to PLAY back to the
CoCo.

3. CD audio.
	This is similar to above and allows me to play back from a audio CD.
However, since I don't have a direct "CD burner" device with a audio input
(like the MD unit), I run a audio adapter and extension cable from the
output of the CoCo cassette cable into the AUX input on my PC's sound card.
I then do the save operation on the CoCo and record the input on my PC as a
WAV or MP3 file.  Then I can go back and burn these files to a CD and there
we go. :)

Just some ideas, there are many good alternatives to a CCR-80 series tape
recorder.
- Chad