[Coco] [Color Computer] Way around it?

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:50:46 EDT 2009

On 5/11/09, Karl Sefcik wrote:

>     If you have the cassette interface cable, then all you need to do is
> plug it into any cassette recorder, the only thing is that the tape
> speed is slower, and that tape can be only played back on normal
> machines. If you have an inexpensive cassette recorder from a drug store
> or Target (or other), that will work fine.
>    One other thing, you may have to turn the input level down because
> the Coco data is a square wave, and you will be recording on a device
> that is made for recording audio. Likewise, you may have to jack the
> playback output up.

The CoCo's cassette data is not a square wave, but a rather coarse
approximation of a sine wave.  I'm not sure what you mean by a slower
tape speed since all Tandy Computer Cassette Recorders are just
glorified monaural audio cassette recorders and run at the standard 1
7/8 inches per second.

Any decent maonaural cassette recorder should work with the CoCo.

Darren