[Coco] CoCo 3 68000/RAM board project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun May 10 15:10:54 EDT 2009

It is a essentially a replacement Coco but done in either two or three
FPGAs. Currently I am lenaing towards three FPGAs. This can be used as
an embedded sytem or as a stand alone system.

What I am about to share is a work that I started several years ago and has
undergone several intese modifications. First off was to do a Coco3 into a
single FPGA. While that is doable, in fact has been. None of the
development boards out there that are under $300 in cost are lacking in
either I/O or VGA color depth withour modification.

This all coincided with my understanding of several handheld computers
that are out there to control a telescope. Two in particular use a processor
that runs no faster than a Coco3. To give it in a nutshell, I decided to
investigate using a Coco3 for a telescope controller. To my surprise it can
be very well adapted to such a task with some external motor drivers.

The main sticking point is that setting up a laptop, and a coco system is a
bit to much for the field use in a remote area. I need a Coco3 that is small
and portable. No bulky disk drives and monitor. Just the computer, a small
LCD, and a flash drive.

The current direction is now more in line with what Sockmaster had
proposed years ago which at first I rejected. Now in retrospect some of his
ideas are not bad all. One FPGA will house the CPU and any
enhancements to the instruction set like a math coprossesor. The second
chip is the main guts of the GIME chip like the MMU, registers and such.
The third FPGA is the actual video section. All are separate boards and are
plugable into a main board that is but a carrier. A fourth board will have the
Vinculum chip that gives me direct access to a USB flash drive for storage.
The Vinculum chip handles all the FAT issues for drive access.

Like I stated it started from first being a GIME replacement into a Coco3
that has grown maybe out of proportion. But size is now a driving factor and
the ability to operate off of batteries.

i hope this is less than a minute but a synopsis of what I am doing. I am
hoping to have some form of a working unit by the end of the summer. I
finally have the finances and hopefully the time to realize a dream of mine
for the last four years. Also to learn something in the process.

james