[Coco] CoCo 3 68000/RAM board project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri May 8 23:08:33 EDT 2009

On 8 May 2009 at 18:16, Stephen Adolph wrote:

> Power up of the machine may be delayed while the FPGA downloads it's
> brain.  Any idea what to expect?
>
> ..Steve

Just ball park figures. Using serial configuration methods either from the
platform prom or from SPI flash should be less than a second.

power suppplies will stablize within 50 mS. After that there is a 5mS for the
configuration to start. Here is where the major delay can occur. Since there
will be two FPGAs if I daisy chain off of one platform flash or a large SPI
flash then I double the configuration time since one configures then the
other. I can also design so that both FPGAs configure at the same time
with their own separate configuration memory. Then I have to halt
configuration of one until the other confiures. Still in all I would expect less
than a second before the start of code execution.

Each FPGA should configure in less than 300mS for XC3S250E. The
XC3S500E could add another couple hundred mS to the time.

james

james