[Coco] CoCo 3 68000/RAM board project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu May 7 10:39:47 EDT 2009

All

The CPU module containing the FPGA for the 6809 is laid out and needs verification. The
memory module is also done. It will be a 1Megabyte by 16 10 nS SRAM. Another board
could be done using SDRAM. Now the Main board and peripheral boards are left to design
and lay out.

What I am doing is shrinking the size of the main Coco board down to 100mm by 80mm
size. Taking a fes of Sock's ideas also into consideration. The CPU  FPGA will be capable
of one 6809 plus room left over for a math coprosser or a second 6809.  The GIME FPGA is
also large enough to handle VGA desktop of 800x600 pixels at 8 bit color. That is able with
the 2Mbytes of ram. 1Mbyte for video desktop and at least one 640x480 hardware window.
Lower resolutions can have more windows.

Coding status for the GIME chip is all the registers are done. Need to do the video section
with windowing, and the linear address generater for the video ram access. Also the
multipexor between the CPU and video addresses.

As for the math coprosser, I have a cordic processor started. It eventually will handle all
division, multiplication and several trig functions. I have yet to dicide wthether it will be just
integer or handle floating point yet. That will depend on how much room is left after the core
of the cordic is left.

james