[Coco] B&B HD Setup

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 4 11:01:34 EDT 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>On Sun, 3 May 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Drive is a 42M IBM 0665-53 733cyl 7hd box-stock L2 with the B&B
>>> drivers...
>>
>> You will want to replace that with Nitros9 of course, its faster. :)
>
>I have a question about that:  Does anyone know if the B&B utility that
>patches the OS-9 bootloader will work with NitroOS9?  Of, if not, whether
>there's a workaround to get the latter to boot from the hard drive.
>
>Steve

Once you have downloaded and unpacked to floppy's, the nitros9 that fits your
system, there are 'boot' modules that can be substituted in the mb scripts
that should be able to do this.  I also recommend the current version of
hdbdos which has several nice features such a boot choice menu. See the cloud9
site.  This replaces the dos in your floppy controller, and can if properly
setup, allow access to the os9 boot track images on the hard drive from rsdos
basic, and vice versa from os9.  I have half a 1GB scsi drive as os9, and the
other half as 255 selectable rsdos virtual disks, or os9 boot images. In my
case I believe the hdbdos is installed in one of Marks TC^3 scsi controllers,
and a disto nohalt without the 4n1 card is used for the floppy controller.  Or
it could be I put that eprom in the disto

Now I do any software devel work on linux right here on this box, and download
the results to the coco.  Much easier on a 1680x1050 screen.  For that you
need the latest copy of Toolshed, which includes the mamou assembler which can
rebuild the complete nitros9-3.2.8 distribution in just a couple of minutes on
this machine, a quad core phenom 9550 & 4GB ram setup with a couple terrabytes
of drives.

Which doesn't seem too important right now.  Our rain gauge here in N. Central
WV is up to 4", 2+ of that since about dusk last night, and every hairline
crack in the basement floor is seeping.  I don't know where to start with the
wet-r-dry vac, but just spent 20 minutes trying to do some good.  So I know
what the rest of the day will amount to.  Heck of a way to spend a monday. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)