[Coco] 1984 djvu conversion

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Tue May 19 07:13:17 EDT 2009

Part of the reason your scans are smaller is as Tim suggested -- some converters aren't as efficient as others. I suspect the bigger part is that you're using black and white (line art) scanning. I always use greyscale unless I need color. Greyscale and color (especially color!) files will always be bigger.

Black and white scans are usually "grainy" and pick up every little spec on the page, making it harder to read. They typically take a lot of cleaning up to be really clear, and I find the text to be too jagged. It does make for a small scanned file though. With greyscale you can use a photo editor and adjust tone, contrast, "noise", and sharpness to get much better text. I use Corel PhotoPaint as it has a lot of filters to clean the pages up, a moire pattern filter mainly. I find Corel PhotoPaint a lot easier to use than Adobe PhotoShop. The GIMP might be as good/easy, haven't tried it yet. One of these days I'm going over to Linux...

Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:29:45 +1000
From: "Bob Devries" <devries.bob at gmail.com>

I'm using ScanGear CS which came with my CanoScan 5200F scanner. It
integrates into Adobe Acrobat Pro 6 through the TWAIN interface.

I'm scanning in black & white at 300DPI. There are no other settings
available in that mode.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"