[Coco] Mini Host app

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:21:31 EDT 2009

Have my CoCo setup connected over a serial port to a WinXP box (Roger
Taylor's Wireless pak), with Mickey Term 4.7 at the CoCo and Hyperterminal
at Windoze. File transfers work ok but it is a rather tedious operation when
more than a couple files are involved.

Eons ago I used Datastorm Technologies ProComm Plus on a DOS box to do
precisely the same (before the porting utilities and other nice goodies we
have today). I installed the shareware version of ProComm Plus to play test
its MiniHost mode: a barebones BBS environment that allows for user end
attended operation of a file transfer excercise - my problem is that ProComm
Plus does not go beyond COM4... and the bluetooth port is set to COM6.

I know there are other less involved options nowadays to port files back and
forth between a CoCo and a Wintel rig, so this is more of an excercise for
the fun of it.

Anyone knows about a similar program like PCPlus and its mini-host mode that
would do natively under WIndows?. I had to install a port mapper to siphon
anything going thrugh COM6 and make it look like COM3 for example, aparently
the Wintel terminal software could care less as it works with no problem.
I'd just like to go minimum system here, no fancy port mapping nor awkward
looking DOS boxes. Installing a mildly fledged BBS in Windows would defeat
the principle of simplicity, I searched around and short of a BBS I didn't
see anything like PCPlus mini host...

-=[ Rogelio ]=-